Pages

Tuesday 31 August 2010

Space Crusade: Warhammer 40K's Poor Cousin? - Part 1

Image property of Milton Bradley and posted under Fair Usage

When GW decided to team up with Milton Bradley to come up with the board games Heroquest and Space Crusade, they really had something potentially massive on their hands. They managed to invade that seasonal trench of marketing that makes so much profit every year and at the same time elevate themselves and their products out of the crowd of rpg manufacturers and actually break into the mainstream. Suddenly it seemed as though everyone had either one or both of the games and was in love with the plastic miniatures that filled the boxes. Now you might look at the stuff that was packed in there and wonder what passed for quality at the time, but you have to remember that most of the kids who got their clammy little hands on them had never seen anything of the like.

I was lucky enough to have both of the games and still have most of the miniatures in various tins and boxes hidden away in my study at home. Some of my first experiences as a GM were from behind the screen of the Heroquest set and in some ways that game has fared better with the passage of time than Space Crusade. Perhaps that happened due to the fact that GW were so successful in breaking into the mainstream that the subsequent generations that took up 40K and adored the newer space marines were quick to distance themselves from the more primitive offerings in the older game. Some people openly deride them and seem to have nothing but scorn for those dogged little marines, but they have their place in history all the same.

When I was starting out collecting there was something to be said for the fact that I had twelve marines and three sergeants right there waiting for me in the Space Crusade box. That's one entire 10 man squad with some marines left over right there and so they formed the first part of my space marine army and have been there ever since. I love to think that those marines that have been with me from the start are still there, making up the numbers in the background alongside the generic marines from the 90s. And so taking into account my own nostalgic love for these marines, I wanted to post something on the miniatures from the Space Crusade box and some of the ways in which I have tried to use them in my modern collection of marines.


The sergeant was of course the most iconic and impressive of the marines that graced Space Crusade with the best choice of weapons and the most bling on his power armour. Although I always though that the white colourscheme on the box was striking, I could never bring myself to use it. Over the years I've used this type of miniature as a sort of testbed for whatever techniques I was trying to master at the time. In this case I was experimenting with aged gold effects and sculpting basic additions from modelling putty for the loincloth, which when combined with a sword from the chaos warrior sprue to replace the somewhat tame version on the original, gives the miniature a different character to the standard Space Crusade sergeant. Of all the marines in the box, this is the only one that I will snap up if I come across it in a bits box as the guy is just very useful and a nice simple miniature to modify and paint.

In one of those strange but welcome coincidences that happen only every so often in this hobby, the plug weapons that came with the Space Crusade marines are an almost perfect fit for the modern solid marines. Here the addition of a bayonet to the bolter just adds a bit of variation to the marine.
Dull, wet and cold weather? Fear not, with the Space Crusade heavy flamer, it's always barbeque season wherever this marine goes! Hope you like your heretics well done.

Here's one for all those old-school gamers who hate the tubular rocket launcher; one that looks and feels like the ancient RT era monstrocity with a dirty great big ammo clip. Am I the only person who thinks moounting that clip on top and at the front of the weapon would mean it blocking your line of sight and also over-balancing the damn thing? Ah well, who cares.

And finally on the catwalk today we have boring 90s marine sporting the "Emperor Knows" cannon which due to the fact I threw away all the non miniature related elements of Space Crusade, I have no idea what it's supposed to be.
Anyone have a clue, because I don't?

In part two I'll be looking at some of the other miniatures in the box including the dreadnought and something that looks as though it was in the idea cupboard when GW went to raid it a few years back. I might even let some of the actual Space Crusade marines in on the act if the ugly little brutes behave themselves and don't break the camera lens with their horrible visages.

8 comments:

Roll With It said...

Bottom guy has a plasma gun. I have high regard for Space Crusade (and Hero Quest for that matter). It was my open doorway to 40k, which I would think was GW's intention for the game in the first place. Yes, the minis aren't brilliant by today's standards but at the time they were about the best available in plastic and represented outstanding value for money considering what came in the box. Good times.

Carmine said...

Thanks for the comment, I really appreciate it.

And I have to say that the thing looks more like a hairdryer than a damn plasma gun!

Anonymous said...

Anyone recall how much ($) Space Crusade and Heroquest were originally?

Honestly, I thought the miniatures were better that what passed for terminators from space hulk. And, the dreadnought was far better than even the metal pork-belly marine dreads at the time.

Carmine said...

The original Space Hulk terminators; does anyone but me think they have a place in a modern space marine army!

Anonymous said...

I have some of the original metal terms in my modnern army, and I used some original plastic terms when playing the new space hulk. Just for nostalgic sake.

Just like when they put modern black windows in a neo-classic stone buidling, something about me likes painting 90's miniatures with modern paints. Using GW washes and FW powders can give new life to old mini's. If you look on boardgamegeek they have some Space Crusade mini's painted very well.

Ginge said...

Your heavy flamer is actually a fusion gun from the rules, but I admit it does look something like a flamer. That weapon came with the mission dreadnaught upgrade kit, along with the fusion gun, lascannon and tarantula (dual lascannon on a protective platform) Your basic set also had an assault cannon.

I still have my original space crusade, as well as a couple of spare copies I picked up trying to get hold of the expansions (namely mission dreadnaught) and some spare bits on ebay. I think it's a great little game and I do keep hold of it to play against friends when they fancy something different from the norm, and also as a handy way to introduce people to the hobby. The trick didn't work on my older brother, he played space crusade but never went further. He did introduce his little brother (me) to the game, and boy have GW had their moneys worth out of me over the years! :oP

Carmine said...

Ah, I thought it was something other than a flamer, but it looks so much like a heavy flamer that I can't really bring myself to call it anything else!

I still have the other weapons such as the heavy lascannon, conversion beamer and the assault cannon, but I refuse to use them as they just look too damn silly.

Roll With It said...

If I remember rightly Space Crusade retailed at around £20 - about the same price a Rhino is today. The game was published by another company in the US, so no idea what the RRP was over there.

Post a Comment

 
 

Blogger